Roopkund Trek Overview
The season for this trek is over for this year you can look at other Himalayan treks.
About the Roopkund Trek:
Blessed with deep virgin forests, gurgling brooks, breath-taking campsites and the beckoning meadows Roopkund trek is a must do trek for you. Get a chance to taste adventure as you climb from 8,000 ft to 16,000 ft in a period of 8 days. The adventure starts for you from the second day onwards as you start trekking to Roopkund Glacial lake. Take the Lord Curzon trail starting Lohajung and follow a steady uphill trek through the Lohajung Pass and then reach the Bedni River.
Get a chance to admire the stunning view of the Garhwal Himalayan ranges as you trek from Didna Village to Ali Bugyal on your third day. On your fourth day, you will be trekking from Ali Bugyal to Ghora Lotani and witness the beauty of the Himalayas. Also, spot a Himalayan Magpie on the way. On your fifth day you will be trekking from Ghora Lotani to Bhagwabasa, here you will face the challenges of high altitudes, zig-zag trails and the icy cold winds. Passing through Kalu Vinayak, you will finally reach Bhagwabasa.
On your sixth day, you will pass from Bhagwabasa to Roopkund Lake and then to Bedni Bugyal. The uninhabited landmark in the laps of Mt. Trishul has overwhelmed many travellers with its innumerable stories. Admire the charming Garhwal Himalayas in full glory extending up to Gangotri. On your seventh day you will start trekking back from Bedni Bugyal to Lohajung and pass through the hundreds of blooming rhododendrons and then take a steep turn for the Neel Ganga and arrive at Wan. You will complete you trek on the eight day. Roopkund trek is definitely the one which will make your dream come true of trekking in the mountains.
About the Roopkund:
A trek to Mystery Lake of Uttarakhand i.e. Roopkund Lake is a must-do for an avid trekker! Battling several adversities common to the Himalayas, this water body perched in the laps of the snow-clad Mt. Trishul is situated at an altitude of 16,499ft.
Most attractive for the human skeletons lying at the bottom of the lake, which are distinctly visible when the snow melts, the lake is swarmed by the plenitude of visitors.
The route along the Roopkund trek is a fascinating journey of discovering the most pristine of the Himalayan contribution of oak and blooming rhododendron forests. A moderate trek, the trek trails through mountainous rivers, enthralling ridges, lush forests and scenic meadows.
Roopkund Trek Highlights:
– Feast your eyes as you see the gurgling brooks, breath-taking campsites during this amazing Roopkund trek.
– Enjoy camping near the cascading water and the clean night sky under the billions of stars. Also, enjoy a small bonfire with your friends.
– Trek through some of the most alpine and forests of fir, Rhododendron, and Oak.
– Get a chance to witness the rare flora and fauna of this region as you continue your trek.
– Feast your eyes at the majestic view of the Mt Trishul looms over the place as you continue climbing.
– Enclosed by mountains, this is the perfect place for taking some amazing photographs.
– Admire the imposing Chaukhamba range, Neelkanth peak, Kedarnath, Kedar Dom.
– Spend some time staring at the might white peaks and pass through the small streams on your way.
– And also meet the local people here and share a cup of tea while you learn about their culture.
Quick Facts About Roopkund Trek:
Temperature: Day: 13 to 18°C and Night: -5 to 7°C
Roopkund Trek Distance: 53km
Maximum Altitude: 16,499 ft
Roopkund Trek Difficulty Level: Moderate To Difficult
Railway Station: Kathgodam Railway station is the nearest railway station
Base Camp: Lohajung
Roopkund Trek Itinerary
Day 1 – Arrival at Kathgodam, Drive to Lohajung (7-8 Hrs)
After your arrival in Kathgodam, you will be met by our representative who will transfer you to the guesthouse in Lohajung, which is also the starting point of this trek.
Overnight at Lohajung
Day 2 – Trek from Lohajung to Didna Village
Lohajung Pass, Bedni Ganga River
Today you will begin with the trek to Roopkund Glacier Lake! Take the Lord Curzon trail from Lohajung and follow a steady uphill trek through the Lohajung Pass, which eventually leads to a downhill trail to the Bedni River. Cross the bridge over the river and traverse through mixed forests of oak and bamboo to arrive at Didna Village. This is your first base camp on the trek route; overnight stay in tents.
Day 3 – Trek from Didna Village to Ali Bugyal
Steep Trek, Oak & Bamboo Forests, Garhwal Himalayas
After a wholesome breakfast, leave the basecamp and begin with a steep ascend through oak forests and long stands of bamboo. Admire the stunning views of the Garhwal Himalayan ranges as they appear ahead of you. Arrive at one of the finest camping grounds with stunning views on this side of the Himalayas as you enter open alpine grazing meadows of Ali Bugyal; overnight stay in here.
Day 4 – Trek from Ali Bugyal to Ghora Lotani
Easy Trek, Panoramic Himalayas, Magpie
Today’s trek will be an easier one and will take you to the other side of the ridge; a keen eye can spot a Himalayan Magpie on the way. After a few hours of trekking, arrive at Ghora Lotani, which is yet again the most fascinating of destinations along the Roopkund trek; overnight camping in Ghora Lotani.
Day 5 – Trek from Ghora Lotani to Bhagwabasa
High Altitude Trekking, Barren Campsite, Icy Winds
Following today’s breakfast in the camp, start with the trek for the day. Today, as you proceed forward, you will be gaining height from 12,500-14,500ft. Be prepared for some challenges offered by high altitudes, zigzag passes and icy cold winds. Passing through Kalu Vinayak, you will finally reach Bhagwabasa (4,100m) campsite in a desolate and barren landscape; overnight stay in tents.
Day 6 – Trek from Bhagwabasa – Roopkund Lake – Bedni Bugyal (via Bhagwabasa)
Roopkund Lake, Human Skeletons, Mt. Trishul, Gangotri Ranges
After four days of continuous trekking, today you will be at the most fascinating day of the trek! Starting with an early morning breakfast, today you will be trekking to the mysterious Roopkund Lake. This uninhabited landmark in the laps of Mt. Trishul has overwhelmed many travellers with its innumerable stories. From here, trek for another half hour to reach Junar Gali, the highest point on this trail, and trek back to the base camp at Bedni Bugyal via Bhagwabasa. Witness the captivating Garhwal Himalayas in full glory extending up to Gangotri; overnight stay in Bedni Bugyal.
Day 7 – Trek from Bedni Bugyal to Lohajung (via Wan)
Trekking, Rhododenron forests, alpine meadows
As you start your return trek, bid goodbye to an unforgettable experience as you can capture a glimpse of Mt. Trishul from Bedni Bugyal on a clear day from Kanakdhar, en route Wan. Follow steep descents, gradual climbs through forests packed with blooming rhododendrons. After a steep descent for the Neel Ganga, arrive at Wan. From here, you’ll drive to Lohajung. Spend the night here.
Day 8 – Departure
Lohajung Exploration, Roopkund Trekking Tour Ends Here
Today will be your last day in the Himalayas! Spend the day looking around Lohajung.
- Camps, Tents, Guesthouses
- High Nutrition Veg Meal During Trek
- Roopkund trek cost includes all accommodations during the trek
- All meals during the trek
- Central Trekking equipment
- Necessary permits and first aid medical kits
- Qualified and experienced trek leader, guide and support staff
- First aid medical kits and oxygen cylinder
- Transportation from Kathgodam to Lohajung and return can be availed at an extra cost
Things To Carry
- Warm clothes, jackets, raincoats, fleece jackets and thermals
- Hand gloves, trekking poles, trekking shoes and extra pair of socks
- Water bottles, energy bars and energy drinks
- Caps/hats, sunglasses and towels
- Personal toiletries and medications (if any)
- Backpack with waterproof linings
- This package has two variation. The one with transport includes a pick and drop from Kathgodam to Lohajung and then back, Lohajung is the start point of the trek. The one without transport, Trekker have to reach Lohajung on his own
- Climatic conditions in the high altitudes vary from the plains; take adequate time to get acclimatized to high altitudes
- Pay heed to the trek leader or instructor in order to enjoy a safe and sound trekking experience
- Do not consume alcohol or any other intoxicants during the trek
- Avoid trekking during the nights
- Before undertaking the trek, consult a physician
- Carry basic medications and a first-aid kit during the trek
- The trek takes place through eco-friendly zone; do not encourage littering the local sites or campsites
- This package has two variation. The one with transport includes a pick and drop from kathgodam to lohajung and then back to kathgodam, Lohajung is the start point of the trek. The one without transport trekker have to reach Lohajung on his own
Roopkund Trek: Cancellation Policy
- If cancellations are made 30 days before the start date of the trip, 50% of total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees.
- If cancellations are made within 0-30 days before the start date of the trip, 100% of total tour cost will be charged as cancellation fees.
- In case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain trips or activities may get cancelled. In such cases operator will try their best to provide an alternate feasible. However a cash refund will not be applicable for the same.
- Cancellations are strictly subjected to cancellation policies mentioned on the website & are irrespective of the date of booking.
Roopkund Trek: Refund Policy
- The applicable refund amount will be processed within 10 business days
- All applicable refunds will be done in traveller’s thrillophilia wallet as Thrillcash
Roopkund Trek: Booking Confirmation Policy
- The customer receives a confirmation voucher via email within 24 hours of successful booking
- In case the preferred slots are unavailable, an alternate schedule of the customer’s preference will be arranged and a new confirmation voucher will be sent via email.
- Alternatively, the customer may choose to cancel their booking before confirmation and a full refund will be processed.